When is the last time you cleaned your dishwasher? Maybe you’ve never even done it before! Now is the perfect time to get started. Regular cleaning and maintenance can help improve the performance of your dishwasher, keep it running smoothly, and save you money in the long run. Follow these tips to avoid having to do the dishes by hand if it stops working!
- Run a full cycle through your dishwasher with a cup of distilled white vinegar poured into the bottom. You could also put a dishwasher safe cup full of vinegar on the top rack instead. This will help loosen up any debris, water minerals, and detergent buildup before you clean out the inside. Pro tip: put some lemon juice in with the vinegar for a fresher smelling dishwasher.
- Does your dishwasher have a filter? Be sure to remove it and clean off any food particles or grime that it may have collected. Most filters are located on the floor of the dishwasher under the lower spray arm.
- You can remove the racks and silverware holder to properly clean them with some soap and water. This is also a good time to see if they are damaged in any way, or if something needs to be replaced.
- Now you can easily wipe down the whole of the inside: walls, ceiling, and floor. Just use dish soap and water! You should also wipe down the spray arms. If there are any blockages in the holes, a toothpick works great for clearing them out!
- Don’t forget to wipe down the seal and gasket as well! Odors can get trapped there, so cleaning it can help reduce those nasty smells.
- Be sure to clean out and unclog the drain. The longer you go without unclogging the drain, the harder it will be to clean and the worse it will perform. It is important to do this to ensure dirty water is properly draining and not sitting in your dishwasher.
- Lastly, it may be good idea to run another empty cycle to properly rinse everything out!
We recommend following these tips and cleaning out your dishwasher every one to three months to guarantee proper performance and sparkling dishes. Need a replacement part for your dishwasher? Be sure to check out PartsWarehouse.com! Find any part in 3 clicks today!